Monday, August 21, 2006

Shoe heaven

Every so often, in a shoe's lifetime, it is time to go. For every shoe diva out there, you know what a traumatic experience this can be. It is giving up memories, outfit pairings and an empty shoebox that was once an integral part of your fashion consciousness.

Today, that time came for me. Of course I would NEVER admit I have too many shoes. Like the saying goes "You can never have too many friends...........or shoes". However, shoe styles change just as grey is the 'new black'. So for this post, I farewell three favourites and the memories that go with them.

The first pair I would describe as blue strappy sling backs. They look great in the picture so why do they need to go to that shoe heaven in the sky?



Firstly, I bought them on sale at Nose in KL. They were very cheap (20 ringgit on sale) but I liked them at the time. I wore them for school mostly and once to an Indian wedding because they went with my punjabi suit. Yet the negatives weigh against them.

1. The strap on the right foot constantly slips off the back of my foot.
2. I don't own that much blue to justify wearing them frequently. Plus, the blue I do have can also be utilised with far trendier foot apparel.
3. They remind me of the kind of shoes that someone older than me might wear - never a good sign.
4. They are not real leather.
5. I haven't worn them for six months and even then I was desperate. It was a 'fat day' and I wore this billowy blue top to dinner with my husband so the shoes seemed to 'match'. The billowly blue top has long been donated to a family member so sadly, the shoes have to go.

The second pair were particularly cool.......five years ago when I bought them in TopShop Singapore. I remember buying them because my best friend was with me. She had come over to Singapore enroute to Manila where she was working. We hit TopShop because we had never had this store in New Zealand or Manila. For those of you know TopShop, it rips off high fashion at middle prices - perfect for teachers who want to stay in the game.



These shoes used to look fabulous with jeans on a night out. I even recall wearing them to the Kiwi Ball in Singapore one year. However, in recent years they have remained underutilised in my wardrobe and it is time for farewell.

1. The heel is WAY too square and out of date (note to shoe diva's: a thinner heel will always stay in style for longer).
2. I now have strappy black stilettos, fab black leather pumps and a new pair of peeptoes which will always do the job better than these.
3. I have had these shoes for about five years now and have worn them a total of nil over the last two years. The rule is, if you have worn them in the last six months hold onto them. If they haven't seen the light of day for over a year, it is time to send them on their merry way.

Last pair which I will farewell today have been worn in the last month - exactly why they have to go. I felt like a fool in them and spent the whole evening wishing I hadn't worn them!



I'll never forget buying them because the left shoe is a size 9 and the right shoe is a size 10 - perfect for those of you like me who have one foot bigger than the other. I was at the Number One Shoe Warehouse in Albany, Auckland when I spotted these beauties. It had been a great day for shoes overall as this warehouse had a shipment of Oasis and Faith shoes - great London brands which are made in Vietnam. I had already picked out a pair of dusky pink pumps from Oasis which I got for NZ$20 but which retailed in England for 60 British pounds (NZ$180). I saw these but could only find the right shoe in 10 and the left in 9. After help from the assistant, we couldn't locate these shoe partners. A few words with the store manager and I walked out with these for NZ$10 although their price sticker showed British retail price at 50 British pounds. Every good shoe diva loves a bargain!

1. The toe-style of the shoe is now more 'winkle picker' than sleek pump.
2. Even with grip on the sole, they still slip terribly on polished surfaces - not a good look when you are trying to walk into a restaurant looking self-assured and confident.
3. I don't really wear bright pink anymore.
4. It was a toss up between these and another bright pink of Brazilian slingbacks. The slingbacks won.

Farewell shoes - may you bring happiness to a Filipino member of my housekeeper's family with the good fortune of having exactly the same shoe size as me!

No comments: